Nepal is a landlocked country which located in South Asia. It is mainly located on the Himalayas but also includes some parts of the Indo-Gangetic Plain. Nepal is the 48th largest country by population while it is the 93rd largest country by its area. It is bordered with China in the north, India in the South,East,West and Bangladesh at its Southeastern tip. Nepal has Diverse geography, Fertile plains, Subalpine forested hills, Eight of the world’s ten tallest mountain including the tallest one Mount Everest.
Nepal is divided into 3 geographical region:Himalayan, Hilly and Terai. It experiences 5 types of climates. They are:
- Tropical and SubTropical Zone (below 1200 meter)
- Temperate Zone (1200 to 2400 meter)
- Cold Zone (2400 to 3600 meter)
- Subarctic zone (3600 to 4400 meter)
- Arctic Zone (above 4400 meter)
Nepal experiences 5 types of season: Summer, Monsoon, Autumn, Winter and Spring. Nepal has been divided into 7 provinces,77 Districts, 753 Local Units, 6 metropolises, 11 Sub metropolises, 276 municipal councils and 460 Village councils. The people of Nepal are called as Nepali or Nepalese. Nepal is a multicultural, multiethnic country because it is a country which occupies small kingdoms such as Mustang, Videha(Mithila), Madhesh, Limbuwan. The main language of Nepal is Nepali. Except Nepali others language are also spoken here, Some of them are Maithili, Bhojpuri, Tharu, Tamang, Nepal Bhasa, Bajjika, Magar, Doteli, Urdu, Awadhi and Sunwar. Majority of the people of Nepal follow Hinduism,Other religion are also followed by the people like Buddhism, Christianity, Islam etc.
Nepal is not only famous because of its beauty only but also because of its culture and tradition.
Many pilgrims, Temples, and cultural sites of Nepal are enlisted in the world heritage sites like :
- Chitwan National Park
- Kathmandu Durbar Square.
- Bhaktapur Durbar Square.
- Patan Durbar Square.
- Sagarmatha National park.
People of Nepal celebrate different Festivals among them Dashain, Tihar, Holi, Shivaratri etc are the major ones.
Great Himalaya Trail :
Great Himalayan Trail is obviously a prime competitor for the world’s best trekking route.In fact, it is the longest trekking route in the world which is composed of 120 days long Itinerary and roughly 1700 km
Visit Nepal 2020 Campaign:
As Nepal is a rapid growing country for the promotion of tourism it has been conducting programs in periods of time and Visit Nepal 2020 Campaign has been the major one.
After the success of Visit Nepal 1998 the Tourism board of Nepal thought of conducting Visit Nepal Campaign again in 2018 but The crawling upgrading activity of Tribhuwan International Airport and delayed construction of Gautam Buddha International Airport in Lumbini and improper transportation infrastructure led the Tourism Board to postpone the campaign to 2020.
Nepal is one of the most beautiful countries in the world because of its pristine natural beauty. Nepal has been giving a major importance for its History and has been conserving every things like the coins which were used 100’s of years ago, dress worn by the Kings of ancient Nepal and mainly the sculptures and idols of the ancient Nepal. Why wouldn’t anyone like to visit Nepal. In Nepal there is everything that is required for a pleasant trip. There are beautiful mountains, various conserved endangered animals, beautiful lakes, and dense forest. In Nepal tourist can observe various cultures and tradition of people. In Nepal there is a saying “aathiti devo bhawa” which means all the guest are equal to the Gods. And they also treat the guest as Gods. So to promote the tourism inside the country the tourism board announced the year 2020 as Visit Nepal Campaign. In this year the tourism of Nepal will be promoted by providing various hospitable services to the Guest, and provide them with new thrilling experiences rather than before.
List of World Heritage site in Nepal:
Nepal has been a home to 10 World Heritage sites.Among them seven sites are available inside the Kathmandu valley and remaining three outside of the Kathmandu valley. As Nepal is a rapid growing country for tourism industry. The World Heritage sites have been playing a major role for the promotion of tourism. All the Heritage sites have been nominated based on their natural and cultural value. The World Heritage sites which are helping for the promotion of tourism are:
1.Kathmandu Durbar Square : Kathmandu Durbar Square is located at the center of Kathmandu Valley. Kathmandu Durbar Square includes many historical monuments of the of ancient cultures and traditions like,Hanuman Dhoka, Degutale Temple, Taleju Mandir, Nasal Chowk, Nine storey Basantapur Tower, Panch Mukhi Hanuman Temple, Mul Chowk, Mohan Chowk, Sundari Chowk, Tribhuvan Museum, King Mahendra Memorial Museum and Kal Bhairab temple in its vicinity. Hanuman Dhoka was the former palace of the Malla Kings which was later passed on to the Saha Dynasty.
The palace has the 17th century statue of Lord Hanuman and at the left of the entrance there is a fine sculpture of Lord Narshimha.The palace bears the historical reminisce of Royal family, culture and religion of Nepal. Museums inside the palace lets one explore the culture, religion, custom, tradition, architecture, history of Royal palaces etc.
2. Bhaktapur Durbar Square : Bhaktapur Durbar Square lies on the eastern part of Kathmandu Valley. Bhaktapur is also known as Bhadgaon or Khowpa. Bhaktapur is regarded as the idle of the ancient Nepali culture, custom and alluring arts pieces of excellent craftsmanship. Each Historical Monuments inside Bhaktapur Durbar Square represents the ancient art, culture, religion and custom of the people residing in Nepal.Lion Gate, Golden Gate, Art Gallery, Statue of King Bhupatindra, Nyatapola Temple and fifty-five windowed Malla palace are the living prides of Bhaktapur.
3.Patan Durbar Square : Patan Durbar Square lies at South East of the Kathmandu Valley. Patan Durbar Square is bounded by 4 stupas built by Emperor Ashoka in the 3rd century BC as recorded in the history. The people residing inside Patan term it as Yala. People say that Patan was founded in the 3rd century by Kirat dynasty and later was modeled into perfection by Lichhavis in the sixth century followed by Malla dynasty. Patan provides the finest traditional crafts and rich artistic heritage. Patan Durbar Square, Mahaboudha Temple, Kumbeshwor temple, Krishna Temple, Golden Temple or Hiranya Varna Mahavihar, Mulchowk, Jagat Narayan Temple, Big Bell, Pillar of Yognarendra Malla, Hari Shanker temple, Vishwanath temple, Bhimsen temple, Marga Hiti, Mani Mandap, Café Pagoda, Rato Machhendra Temple, Minnath, Rudra Varna Mahavihar etc are the major attractions of Patan.
4. Swayambhunath(Monkey Temple) : Swayambhunath Temple is located 3 km west of Kathmandu valley. People say that the Stupa of Swayambhunath was made with the contribution of King Manadeva in 460 BC.Again In 17th century King Pratap Malla enhanced the architecture and also added a stairway to get to the stupa. At present, the stupa is a solid hemisphere of brick and clay, supporting a lofty conical spire capped by a pinnacle of copper gilt and has Lord Buddha’s eyes adorned on all the four sides of the spire base.For the people following Buddhism it is regarded as the holiest place. Swayambhunath also offers a majestic view of the entire Kathmandu valley.
5. Pashupatinath : Pashupatinath temple is regarded as the holiest place for the hindus. As the name Pashupatinath itself indicate it as a temple of Lord Shiva. The temple is located at 5 km East of Kathmandu valley at the bank of the Holy River Bagmati. It is built in Pagoda style. There are many temples inside and outside the courtyard. It is also very common to meet sadhus in Pashupatinath.Sadhus are wandering ascetic yogis, who are trying to acquire liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth by meditating.They have very unique appearance with specific yellow paintings on their bodies.
6. Boudhanath : Boudhanath lies 8 kms East from Kathmandu Valley.It was built by the Licchavi Kings in the 5th century. It is one of the ancient stupa and is regarded as the world’s largest stupa. It has been built on a stepped octagonal base and inset with alcoves representing Buddha and his teachings. Boudhanath is surrounded by various temples or Gompas.
7. Changunarayan : Changunarayan temple is located at 12 km East of Kathmandu and a few miles North of Bhaktapur. Changunarayan temple is surrounded by Champak tree forest and a small village called Changu. The hilltop temple Changunarayan is also termed as Changu or Dolagiri. River Manahara flows from the side of the Hill. Changunarayan is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and it is one of the sacred place for the people who follow Hinduism. Changunarayan temple is considered as the oldest Temple in the history of Nepal.
The temple is surrounded by sculptures and arts related to Lord Vishnu. Also, we can find the temples of Lord Shiva, Ashta Matrika, Chhinnamasta, Kileshwor and Krishna inside the courtyard of the main temple.
8. Lumbini : Lumbini the birthplace of the founder of Buddhism, Lord Buddha is located in the Southern Terai plains and is 300 km Southeast of Kathmandu. It has been regarded as a sacred place for the people who follow buddhism because it is the birthplace of Lord Buddha.Lumbini bears not only historical and religious significance but also cultural significance. Lumbini Garden, Maya Devi Temple, Tara Foundation, World Peace Pagoda, China Temple, Thai Monastery, Burmese (Myanmar) Temple, Nepal Buddha Temple and Dharmaswami Buddhist monastery are the major attractions of Lumbini. There is a museum and a research center for Buddhism. It is also considered an ideal birding destination as it houses variety of rare bird species.
9. Chitwan National Park : Chitwan National Park lies in the inner Terai Belt of Chitwan. It stretches across an area of 932 sq.km. It is the first national park of Nepal. It was enlisted in the list of World Heritage Site since 1984. It has been a shelter for many endangered and many Wild Animals and Bird. It has been a major attraction to tourist for Jungle Safari. Chitwan National Park has been a shelter for different endangered animals like: Bengal tiger, One Horned Rhinoceros etc. Different species of snake like King Cobra, Rock Python etc are also found there. The main attraction of this place is sauraha where the tourist can undergo thrilling jungle safari encountering with different species of Wild animals , Crocodiles and Birds.
10. Sagarmatha National Park : Sagarmatha National Park situated in foothills of the Himalayas occupies an area of 1,148 sq. kilometers. Sagarmatha National Park has been a major attraction for the tourist because of its pristine natural beauty.It offers the most magnificent views of rugged mountains, glaciers, valleys and river. The park houses an amazing array of plant species, birdlife and exotic animals. Plant species like blue pine, silver fir, rhododendrons, birch etc have glorified the beauty of the park. On venturing into the park, one may encounter rare species like snow leopard, pandas, lynx etc. Birdwatchers can have the best sightseeing experience while viewing rare bird species like snow cock, pheasant, snow pigeon etc. In a nutshell, Sagarmatha National Park is a storehouse of Himalayan natural resources.
List of Trekking Destinations:
As Nepal contains various Mountains, High Hills, High Altitude Lakes and various rivers. It has been a major destination for the tourist for Hiking and Trekking. There are various Trekking Destination in Nepal which provide the trekkers with thrilling experiences with beautiful nature view. Some of the major and most beautiful Trekking destinations of Nepal which are helping for the promotion of tourism are:
1. Everest Base Camp Trek : Everest Base Camp is in the high priority list for trekkers who love trekking to the Himalayas. It is also called Gateway to Everest. This trek is good for those who has good stamina and can walk a long distance. Without proper guidance and guide its not safe to trek Everest Base Camp.Everest Base Camp lies on the southern part of Nepal. Everest Base Camp takes us through beautiful Sherpa villages with observing their lifestyle, cultures, tradition and experiencing their hospitality to the guest. Trekking to Everest Base Camp provides us the most thrilling and beautiful nature view among all Trekking destinations. Everest Base Camp is situated at the lap of world’s tallest Mountain Mt.Everest. So from the Base Camp you will be able to get the best view of the Mount Everest among all the place around the whole country. Everest Base Camp trek is one of the longest Trekking destinations which provide various views of different Mountain Ranges. And while trekking to the base camp we have to pass through different deep forest and National Flower Rhododendron.
2. Annapurna Circuit Trek : Annapurna Circuit Trekking is one of the popular trek in the world that offers trekkers mountain viewing, culture and tradition of the local people and their living style in the village. Annapurna circuit trek is mostly visited trekking routes by the tourist who arrives in Nepal due to its natural and cultural variation and beauties found in this region. Annapurna region trekking will take trekkers through mountain ranges, passing through beautiful landscapes and valleys, inspiring sceneries of sunset and sunrise.
The entire circuit area is protected by the first and largest conservation area Annapurna Conservation Area; a home to several world class trekkers.
There are 3 major routes in the Annapurna region: Jomsom Trek, Annapurna Base Camp and the Annapurna Circuit. Annapurna region is very famous among trekkers. Annapurna Base Camp is easily accessible, high mountains and villages, sufficient guest house in the hills. Diverse Landscapes and different ethnics of community residing around the Annapurna region is the beauty of this region. Panoramic view of wide ranges of Annapurna Massif is simply unexpressible and magnificent. Pure air and snow capped peak is another eye catching beauty of Annapurna which connects intimately to the mountain.
The region has been a good shelter to different animals, pheasants, Himalayan honey bee, leopards, etc. It decorates the region with beautiful national flower Rhododendron. People from different community and their great hospitality is another attraction of this region. Annapurna circuit trek is suitable for all kinds of trekkers and easily accessible throughout the season.
3. Ghorepani Poonhill Trek : Poon hill is also known as the 'Ghorepani Poonhill' which is short and easy trekking route of Nepal. Poonhill is famous for sunrise and sunset over the Dhaulagiri Range along with South Annapurna Range. The Trek starts from Nayapul and ends in Pokhara which will last for five days, that includes the Ghandruk village on the way returning from Poonhill.
This trekking is for those who want to have trekking in Nepal but have short travel time. You can enjoy the culture of the Magar and Gurung community of the people with their great hospitality and unique culture and tradition.
4. Langtang Valley Trek : Langtang valley trek is popularly known as glacier valley trek located only 19 miles north from Kathmandu valley, where you will be able to see huge snow capped mountains and gorgeous glaciers. The whole Langtang valley is surrounded by Mount Langtang Lirung (7246m) offering diverse variety of vegetation, geography, wildlife, culture and lifestyle.
5. Mardi Himal Trek : Mardi Himal trekking is consider as the youngest trekking route which is least climbed and visited. Mardi Himal trek offers the trekkers a distinctive experience of splendid mountains views. Mardi himal trek is the short trek in eastern Annapurna region which offers culture and tradition of the Gurung community of Nepal.
6. Gosainkunda Trekking : Gosaikunda trek in Nepal, known for its spectacular and breathtaking scenic beauty is one of the best trekking destinations. Commonly known as frozen lake, Gosaikunda is one of the religious places of Nepal and is also a sacred place for shamans. Beside of its religious importance, trekkers visit here because of the beauty and adventure it serves at the height of 4380m. Without any doubt Gosaikunda trek offers perfectly placed terraced slopes, settlement of different ethnic groups, rare wild animals and diverse range of flora and fauna. It is believe that Gosaikunda lake is created by the Lord Shiva after swallowing the poison to cool his stinging throat.
List of Mountains in Nepal
As Nepal contains various mountains which are one of the most beautiful natural wealth of Nepal it has been conducting various tourism activities regarding the Mountains like trekking, Mountain climbing etc. Among the top 10 highest peaks of the world Nepal has 8 of them within its territory.
The highest mountain of the world Mount Everest also lies within its territory. The mountains of Nepal can be divided into two types: Above 5000m of the sea level and below 5000m of the sea level. The mountains which are above 5000m are:
- Mount Everest (8,848m)
- Kanchenjunga (8,586m)
- Lhotse (8,516m)
- Makalu (8485m)
- Cho Oyu (8201m)
- Annapurna (8091m)
- Gyanchung Kang (7,952m)
- Himalchuli (7893m)
- NgadiChuli (7871m)
- Nuptse (7,861m)
- Chomo Lonzo (7,804m)
- Jannu (7710m)
- Gangapurna (7455m)
- Kirat Chuli (7,365m)
- Chamlang (7,319m)
- Langtang lirung (7227m)
- Langtang Ri (7,205m)
- Baruntse (7162m)
- Pumori (7161m)
- Nemjung (7140m)
- Tilicho Peak (7134)
- Api (7132m)
- Fish Tail (6993m)
- Kang guru (6981m)
- Jethi Bahurani(6850m)
- Ama Dablam (6812m)
- Cho Polu (6735m)
- Changla (6721m)
- Num Ri (6677m)
- Kumbutse (6640m)
- Themserku (6623m)
- Mera Peak (6476m)
- Mount Khumbila (5,761m)
- Tharpu Chuli (5663m)
- Kala Patthar (5,545m)
- Yala Peak (5,520m)
- Gokyo Ri (5,357m)
The mountains which are below 5000 m are:
- Hills Mountains (4000m)
- Mahabharat Range (1500 to 3000 m)
- Churiya Hills (1000m)